Tris lives in a world divided by factions based on virtues, she’ll learn that she’s Divergent: she doesn’t fit in any factions, nobody can control her. Being a Divergent is dangerous and she may be kill at any time, but she’ll fight this society.
I’ve just seen the movie, so happy again that a book I love is adapted into a movie. But I was not happy as I thought I will be, that were important part for me in the book that weren’t in the movie. Here the missing parts:
- There is not the scene where we see the books in Caleb’s bedroom (not very important but still).
- When the mother came to see Tris when the Dauntless are loading the trucks, first of all she’s supposed to come see her at the pit during parents’ visit, and she didn’t tell her to go to see her brother and talk to him about the “liquid”.
- When Tris comes back from the Erudite place she was supposed (by the book) to come face to face with Eric and Four but… No!
- Edward doesn’t have an eye fewer… Maybe because he doesn’t exist in the movie!!
- All the secondary characters are unnoticeable, I think we don’t see enough the relationships between Al, Cristina, Will and Tris and (maybe) that’s why we don’t understand when Tris is very angry at Al after he tried to kill her! We don’t see the relationship between Will & Cristina and neither between Al & Tris even if this one is may not be a crucial detail. We don’t know either the natives like Uriah with who Tris has a good relationship, it’s too bad because I really liked him in the book.
- Then, we don’t see Four drunk, okay that’s not a very important part but that could have been nice ^^
- Tris never calls Four “Tobias”, in the book he said that he likes her when she calls him like that because that makes him remember is real name.
- They don’t explain what the 3 crows on her collar bone are: I think it’s important to know that they represent her family, because it’s supposed to be the “faction before blood” but we can’t forget where we came from.
Now there are a lot of modifications. Here they are:
- When Cristina is above the abyss, there were supposed to have 2 big waves which destabilized her but no: just some water drops!
- When they win the game against Eric’s team: Tris is brandishing the flag not Cristina as the book said, and she’s not supposed to fight a girl before (that I supposed is Molly!) but, I think that was for the dynamic of the movie. (this one is okay)
- Then when the transfers are going at the edge of the city, we can see the train stationed but in the book she said that he never stops… They always jump off the train in motion. They’re Dauntless for god sake!
And for the last part, I’ll tell you the details that changed too but maybe not that important, I can’t help myself I saw them and I have to notice them… ^^
- When Tris has to choose her faction she was supposed to dirt the floor before dropping her blood in the bowl she has chosen.
- The bows are not at the right places: the Dauntless bowl is meant to be next to the Abnegate bowl (if I remember well).
- After that, when she first jumped into the safety net, she was supposed to throw her sweater to Peter but… she didn’t. This is a small detail that could have been done in a second… anyway!
- Then, when Four is throwing knives at her, she was supposed to close her eyes at the first one and Four is supposed to talk to her between each knives to convince her to give up.
- In Four’s fear landscape: the confinement, in my opinion, is not enough intimate between him & Tris, like in the book… I mean they’re huddling together (
at the limit of spooning). Also, just before this simulation Tris was supposed to give him the injection (very small detail but so simple to do when you think about it!!)
- And the last one, when they are in the train with all the zombies-simulation-braves, Tobias is supposed to behind her.
In general, the scenes go on really fast with no real connections sometimes. I think we don’t see enough the scene with the giant Tyrolean traverse. I think there are not enough details on the factions, the tests, the trainings, and there is not enough blood like in the book… if you adapt a book into a movie do it right: we don’t necessary love violence, but that’s a part why we loved the book!! When Peter kicked Tris’ ass: we’re not supposed to recognize her next but she just had a small black eye and some bruises.
I’m not disappointed: I’m frustrated (a little). And even if I written down all the negatives points I’ve noticed, I loved it: I can’t hate it, I mean I love the book and they turn it into a movie, how, in the name of God, could I not like it? I mean I had shivers up every 2 minutes: that probably means something good isn’t it? ^^
To finish on a good note, the music in the movie is fantastic!! The music when we see for the first time the Dauntless jumping off the train is “kfshfvsvbsjk”, and I mean it!
I liked the dog during the first test of Tris (even if there is a missing part of this test), he looked very dangerous and the special effects are awesome! Also, when they’re supposed to play with paintball guns: it’s been replaced by fake ball impact and I think it’s a good modification, it’s more real! And the impact is better for the simulation!
The last fight, the one between Tris & Tobias is really nice, not too short (like in the book, yes the book has his default too!) and he’s not sparing her! But why are there so many Intelligent people? In the book there is not one but it’s maybe for the best because on a simulation that big I think it’s normal to have spectators and maybe the creators, to see their creation.
Jeanine is the one who cut off the simulation and not Tobias: I think it’s not a bad thing either because okay he’s a new experimentation but why would she give him the privilege to control the simulation (like in the book)? Good modification too.
Besides, I didn’t imagine the pit like this, neither the Abnegate houses, but that’s just my interpretation when I read the book.
And if tattoos were made like this nowadays, I think right now we couldn’t see a single part of my skin ahah ^^
The actors are amazing: Shailene Woodley aka Tris that I didn’t know, is gorgeous! Theo James aka Four is handsome (OMG!!) and I really liked Kate Winslet aka Jeanine, she’s really good to play a mean character!
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”